No, I am not a man-hater and this article is not meant to be taken seriously. Rather it is written tongue-in-cheek to demonstrate the obvious and not so obvious ways a you can show disrespect to your husband. Sometimes the best way of understanding something is to begin with what it isn’t. While this can be a roundabout way of addressing a subject, it can also establish some necessary boundaries from which to form a better understanding.
With that in mind, here are a few suggestions for demonstrating disrespect the next time you are alone or out with your husband. You can do this over dinner, in front of his friends, better yet your friends, and best yet in front of family. Make sure you temper your comments with sarcasm, mockery or cynicism to add an extra dose of disrespect.
- His work – Try making a joke about what he does for a living, where he works, or how much he earns. This can be even more disrespecting if you add a comment or two about how great your career is going or how much more successful your dad was in his line of work. After all, most men get some satisfaction from what they do as a profession even if they don’t enjoy it because they are providing for their family. So attacking their work is one of the easiest targets for disrespect.
- His dreams – Take one of his future aspirations or a desire to become something and then tell him how stupid it is and how he can never accomplish it. Better yet, don’t even discuss it with him, just roll your eyes and talk behind his back especially to someone who is likely to tell him about your remarks. It most likely took a lot of trust to tell you about his dreams in the first place so ridiculing even one dream drives the disrespect right to the heart.
- His sexuality – It really does not matter how frequently he wants sex because if he wants it too much: harass him, too little: tell him he is inadequate. While you are at it, joke about what he likes sexually and over-expose him to others around you. No matter what he says about sex, most men fear that they are not performing well enough sexually for their spouse so attacking this area is very personal.
- His worship – One of the easiest places to show disrespect to your husband is in how he worships in church. Make sure you poke him when the pastor is preaching, compare him to other men in church or demonstrate how much more you know about spirituality than him. If he goes to church, he has been told that he is the spiritual leader of the family so under minding him and taking over the leadership role becomes disrespectful.
- His leisure activities – Whatever he likes to do for fun can be a target for ridicule, especially if it involves a sport of sorts and requires that money be spent for him to have fun. If there are other men involved then this is an even better opportunity to not only make fun of him but his other teammates, especially if you can tag team with another spouse. As any self-respecting spouse knows, the money he earns and extra time he has should go to the family and not towards doing something he enjoys.
- His appearance – Insecurities regarding receding hairline, pot-bellies, changing body, and outdated clothing should be exposed and highlighted just to make sure that he fully aware of his inadequacies. Some men age quite well, so make sure that you compare your husband to other men who are aging better than him. While he has been repeatedly told that you don’t like him to comment on your flaws, his are open game.
- His moods – Since most men are raised to be strong and take things on the cheek, any sign of weakness, moodiness, depression, or anxiety should be the talk around the dinner table especially with a few of your not so close friends. By highlighting any mood swings you can literally cut him off at the knees and cripple him for the rest of the evening. It is a moment of disrespect that will be noticed by everyone in the room.
- His morality – Another opportunity for disrespect is to exaggerate the number of times your husband has made immortal or embarrassing decisions. Of particular interest are any past times of infidelity, hospitalization, use of pornography, drunkenness, or drug use just to name a few suggestions. However, if there are few of these events in his past, making up a couple to add some interest to a conversation by putting him down can be very disrespectful.
- His decisions – Most wives have this area down to a science as nearly every decision their husbands make can be questioned. Eve taught us this well as just before she ate fruit from the tree she mistrusted her husband by not agreeing that God had told Adam not to eat the fruit. Wives can do this in many little ways such as questioning his driving, asking and re-asking the same question, questioning the tie he picks or what he decides to eat. All of this can be disrespectful.
- His authority – If you are blessed to work with your spouse at work, on a project or part of a charity, then you have an excellent opportunity to attack his authority. Just make sure that you do it in front of others adding some sort of intimate touch or glance to maximize the insult. Minimizing his authority thereby increases yours and creates a natural disrespect with your viewing audience. This is especially powerful if your husband is in an influential position.
- His reputation – Gossiping about your spouse especially in a negative manner is highly effective form of disrespect. Everyone loves gossip and it can spread like wild-fire to all kinds of people destroying a reputation that has taken years to develop in a matter of minutes. The best people to receive your gossip are the ones who already gossiping about others, after all they are the pros at disrespect.
- His children – When all is said and done, even if you fail to disrespect your husband in any of the above ways, the easiest and perhaps most sneaky way to be disrespectful is to talk bad about your husband in front of his children. They could be your children or his by another woman, no matter which one, the impact can be destructive beyond comparison. By disrespecting your husband, you are modeling behavior for his daughters to imitate and his sons to repeat. If you can paint your husband in a bad light to his children, then you have truly passed on an inheritance that can last beyond your generation. It is the gift of disrespect that can keep giving.
By the way, if you find that you have mastered just a few of these areas, just know that you are not alone. Over half of all marriages end in divorce and yours is likely to be headed in that direction. Many divorced women have long mastered this list with their ex-husbands and some are working on marriage number two or three or even four. If this scares you, good. Now go over the list again, admit what you have done wrong, ask for forgiveness, and decide to be the model of respect instead of disrespect.
There is hope for your exhaustion. Repairing, restoring, and rebuilding relationships takes time, energy and effort. If you find yourself needing more help during this process, please call our offices at 407-647-7005 to schedule an appointment. Or you can send me a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tagged: Christian counseling, Christine Hammond, disrespect husband, exhausted woman, exhausting marriage, exhausting relationships, family, how to be disrespectful, Husband, Marriage Struggles, parenting, relationship, Respect, respecting husband, spouse